Thursday, June 11, 2009

06-09 National D-Day Memorial

From 06-09 National D-Day Memorial

After leaving Thomas Jefferson’s second home at Poplar Forest, we traveled 17 miles to Bedford, Virginia to make a brief visit to the National D-Day Memorial. The small town of Bedford (population 3200 during WWII) suffered the highest proportional loss of any community in America when 23 of their young men died on D-Day or shortly thereafter in the Normandy Invasion. So the National D-Day Memorial has been established there.

My Uncle, James Rone, Jr. called “Sonny Boy”, was killed on D-Day so I have always had an interest in that battle. In my Grandmother’s attic I found some of his letters written while he was in the Army and that made an even stronger connection for both Monique and me.

There is another interesting connection. We always were uncertain exactly how Sonny Boy died. His death was so painful that no one in our family ever talked about it. So one of my cousins, also named James Rone, did some research. He interviewed a man named Max Bollinger who served with my Uncle and was a close friend. It turns out Mr. Bollinger even came to my Grandmother’s funeral, but James and I were unaware who he was. Anyway, one of my best friends and roommates at Mississippi State was Phil Bollinger. I talked to Phil and yes he had an Uncle named Max. Sure enough when Phil talked to his Uncle, he found out his Uncle Max was my Uncle’s friend. Small world!

As we pulled up to the Memorial, Monique looked up and saw this cloud. It looked like a WWII bomber flying overhead. It was a bit eerie seeing it overhead. The formation was breaking up as I found my camera, but I think you can still see the general shape.

From 06-09 National D-Day Memorial

The memorial is outstanding. There are plaques and features honoring all the nations and military branches that participated in D-Day.

From 06-09 National D-Day Memorial
From 06-09 National D-Day Memorial

There is a fountain that represents the beach landings and uses underwater bursts of air blowing spouts of water to simulated the gunfire surrounding the men.

From 06-09 National D-Day Memorial

Another area has a flower garden in the shape of the shoulder patch worn by the American troops.

From 06-09 National D-Day Memorial

There is a prominent statute of General Eisenhower

From 06-09 National D-Day Memorial

and busts of the major Allied Commanders including Omar Bradley seen here.

From 06-09 National D-Day Memorial

We found the plaque with Uncle Sonny Boy’s name.

From 06-09 National D-Day Memorial

I was glad to see that he had been honored, but it was a very sad moment seeing his name and thinking of the loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment